The letter of complaint from Michael Appleby to the Police Complaints Authority following the decision of Judge Behrens QC elicited this inadequate response: The response completely ignores many, if not most, of the matters complained of.
In particular, it ignores paragraphs 3, 4 and 5 of this letter dated 30 May 2007:
Hon Judge Goddard
Police Complaints Authority
342 Lambton Quay
P O Box 525
30 May 2007
1. Further to Judge Borrin’s letter of 9 December 2005 (a copy of which is attached for your convenience and ease of reference), I write to confirm that all of the five charges have been thrown out by the District Court, and partial costs awarded against the New Zealand Police.
2. I attach some relevant documents in connection with Mrs Raue’s complaint.
3. Further background to the history of the treatment of Mrs Raue by the Masterton Police is the letter of 26 August 2004 from Mrs Raue’s previous counsel, Mr Ken Daniels, to the Police calling their attention to what Mr Daniels himself believed to be fraud at the Carterton Community Centre.
4. The only response to this letter seems to have been the brief e-mail dated 26 April 2006, from Police officer Murray Johnston, admitting that he couldn’t remember Mr Daniels letter, that he couldn’t locate the file, and scoffing at any allegations which might have been made in the letter from Mr Daniels, even though he couldn’t even remember receiving the letter. The e-mail states: “Any such allegation by Kate against the Community Centre management would take a very low priority from a Police perspective. Her allegations about the Community Centre have mostly proved unfounded, emotive and simply not credible”, even though Mr Daniels is a Lawyer, and had expressed his concern at what he himself believed to be fraud.
5. The Masterton Police have, apparently, made no further investigations into Mr Daniels’ concerns about the fraud, nor do they intend to do so from the tenor of the email. This obviously requires further investigation by the Authority and constitutes a separate complaint.
The full complaint can be viewed at this link.
In February 2008 I finally received a copy of this letter from Dave Allen, "Manager Professional Standards".
Michael Appleby wrote back and pointed out that police had completely ignored the serious allegations against Georgina Beyer, and several people associated with the Carterton District Council, regarding the fraud and misfeasance, and the illegal takeover, mismanagement and closure of the former Carterton Community Centre, as confirmed by letters from several lawyers. The Authority wrote the following arrogant letter in response:
An urgent inquiry into these matters is long overdue. The vast majority of informed Carterton residents do NOT want a so called 'Event Centre' - we want an inquiry into the fraud and misfeasance at the Carterton Community Centre, involving Georgina Beyer and the Carterton District Council and individuals associated with the Council, and an investigation into how the local police corruptly covered it up and refused to investigate the blatant fraud.