The policeman accused of covering up the extent of child abuse cases in
Wairarapa was never interviewed by the Independent Police Conduct
Authority, a "glaring" omission, says the Police Association.
Former Wairarapa CIB head Mark McHattie is the officer who came out
worst in the authority's report last week, which found "serious
failings" in the investigation of child abuse.
It was revealed McHattie wrongly told superiors in Wellington that the
number of unresolved child abuse files in his district had fallen from
121 to 29 in September 2006.
He wrote: "With my hand on my heart, I can honestly say the total number
of [child abuse] investigation files currently held for investigation
is 29."
Later McHattie was promoted to detective senior sergeant and headed
Auckland's serious crime squad. But an internal investigation found 100
of the Wairarapa child abuse files were inappropriately resolved or
misfiled, with 46 closed in two days at the end of August 2006.
McHattie now faces a code of conduct hearing. If misconduct relating to
Wairarapa was shown, any sanctions would apply regardless of his new
role.
After a nationwide investigation into the extent of the child-abuse
backlog, 18 police staff were investigated, with 10 since dealt with
informally, and eight cases involving officers from Wellington, the Bay
of Plenty, Eastern, Waitemata, Canterbury, Central and Waikato still
pending.
McHattie did not respond to calls from the Star-Times. He has been in the firing line of senior police bosses for some time.
National MP John Hayes told the Star-Times in 2009 that he attended a
meeting that year in which Wellington regional police chiefs appeared to
be "shoving the blame" at a Wairarapa officer who had "hidden
paperwork".
"They essentially said the problem was someone had buried files, but I
find that difficult to believe. If you have proper management processes,
checks and balances, you know what's going on," Hayes said at the time.
Police Association president Greg O'Connor said McHattie was never
interviewed by the authority. "You'd have to ask yourself why. Not
talking to a key player is a glaring omission. It's an incomplete
report."
He said McHattie provided written submissions that were not included in
the report. They would now form the basis of his employment hearing.
The Star-Times understands McHattie will argue he was dealing with a
huge caseload, was having to juggle files, and was coming and going from
the Wairarapa.
O'Connor said the authority had not gone into what was happening at the
time, and there was a climate of fear in which the previous
administration "absolutely did not want to hear bad news".
Wednesday, February 2, 2011
Mark McHattie - rewarded and promoted for covering up child abuse:
Labels:
child abuse,
Mark McHattie,
Police apologies,
Police corruption,
Police incompetence and corruption,
police information sharing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment